Fire Dept History
Sixty Plus Years and Growing
The Alexandria Fire Department was organized in 1937. A garage was purchased in the rear of the present Alexandria Court House and a 1938 Ahrens Fox pumper was added as the first piece of fire apparatus. A second piece of apparatus was purchased in 1954.
In May of 1961, a used life squad was purchased from the Mack, Ohio Fire Department commencing the start of the local ambulance service. Over the following years, more modern equipment was added.
In 1976, Fire District #5 was organized. The first paid Fire Chief was hired in 1997. On December 17, 1999, the fire department moved to the present facility at 7951 Alexandria Pike. On May 19th, 2004, Campbell County Fire District #5 was officially changed to the Alexandria Fire District per County Ordinance O-09-04.
The Alexandria Fire District is a special fire taxing district that encompasses a twenty-five square mile area, including the City of Alexandria and surrounding Campbell County area. The population served by the Fire District is approximately 20,000 citizens. The Fire District consists of a mix of commercial, residential, and education facilities, including one of the largest middle schools in the State of Kentucky. A new elementary has opened for the 2005 school year. The fire protection Insurance Services Office rating starting on August 1, 2009 for the City of Alexandria is a Class 3 and the surrounding Campbell County fire protection rating of the Fire District is a Class 4-9. The Fire District has a career staff of sixteen personnel and maintains a volunteer staff of forty-two dedicated individuals. The Fire District responds to approximately 840 EMS responses and 350 fire responses per year. The Fire District’s equipment includes 2 Engine Companies, 1 Truck Company, 1 Heavy Rescue Company, a special foam unit, a first response vehicle, and all terrain rescue/fire suppression unit, 1 command vehicle, and 2 basic life support ambulances. On July 1, 2009, 2 ALS chase cars were placed in service serving the Alexandria Fire District, Campbell County Fire District #1 (Camp Springs/Eastern Campbell/Silver Grove), Fire District #6 (Melbourne), Southgate F.D., and Wilder F.D.
As the Alexandria area continues to grow in population, the fire department will continue to grow as the demand for Fire/EMS protection continues to grow. A future goal of the fire department include a second fire station in the eastern section of the fire district.