Opening a Business

We are happy you are interested in coming to our city! Our tag line “Where the City meets the Country” is not just a slogan.  It really captures the idea that we have every amenity available to us, but we can escape to the peace and quiet just by coming home to enjoy the laid back, almost rural community with friendly neighbors and beautiful vistas.

Alexandria is a great place to live, work, and shop.  We’re just about 30 minutes from Downtown Cincinnati and the Greater Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport.  We are less than that to great shopping, either at regional malls, the Alexandria Village Green Shopping Center, and dozens of locally owned and operated specialty retailers and restaurants.  Our school systems, both public and private, are among the best.


If you are interested in opening a business in Alexandria, the first thing would be to call the city at 859-635-4125 and ask to speak with the Zoning Administrator about the site you are interested in to see if your business meets the zoning requirements for this particular site.  She will be happy to help you with all aspects of setting up a business in Alexandria.  Below are some of the forms you might need:

New Business Packet – This packet includes:

  • Zoning Permit Application – If you want a sign at your business
  • Commercial Change of Use or Occupancy – If you are moving into a premise that was an existing business before, you will have to complete this form for our records and submit that to the City of Alexandria.
  • Occupational License Application – All businesses inside City Limits of Alexandria are required to have this license.  This is all handled through Campbell County Payroll and Occupational License Department in Newport, Kentucky (859-292-3884).  The form and payment should be submitted to Campbell County at 1098 Monmouth Street, Room 320, Newport, KY, 41071.
  • Electrical Permit Application – If you need any electrical work done to your premises, you will need to complete this form in order to get an electric inspection.
  • Commercial and Multi-Famly Building Permit Application – To be completed and submitted for any construction to be done on your premises.

Commercial & Multi Family Application If there is any remodeling to be done before you move into a premises, this form will be required.   This is a Campbell County form and any questions about the application can be directed to Campbell County Building & Zoning at 859-292-3880.

Zoning Permit Application If you want a sign at your business, this form should be completed and sent to the City of Alexandria, 8236 West Main Street, Alexandria, KY  41001.

Any other questions you have about starting up a new business in the city limits of Alexandria can be referred to our Zoning Administrator at 859-635-4125.