Questions & Answers

I want to start up a new business in Alexandria City Limits. What are the things I need to do?

We are happy you are interested in coming to our city!

The first thing would be to call the city at 859-635-4125 and ask to speak with the Zoning Administrator about the site you are interested in to see if your business meets the zoning requirements for this particular site. 

You will also need to apply for an Occupational License for the City of Alexandria and Campbell County.  All businesses inside City Limits of Alexandria are required to have this license.  This is all handled through Campbell County Payroll and Occupational License Department in Newport, Kentucky (859-292-3884).  The form and payment should be submitted to Campbell County at 1098 Monmouth Street, Room 320, Newport, KY, 41071.

Next, if you are moving into a premise that was an existing business before, you will have to complete a Commercial Change of Use or Occupancy form for our records and submit that to the City of Alexandria.

If there is any remodeling to be done before you move into the premises, a Commercial Building Permit-Remodel is necessary.  This is also a Campbell County form and any questions about the application can be directed to Campbell County Building & Zoning at 859-292-3880. 

For signage, you will need to fill out and return a Zoning Permit Application to the City of Alexandria, 8236 West Main Street, Alexandria, KY  41001. 

Any other questions you have about starting up a new business in the city limits of Alexandria can be referred to our Zoning Administrator at 859-635-4125. 

How do I report a pothole?

Contact the Public Works Supervisor at 859-635-4125.

Who should I contact if there's a street light out?

Contact Duke Energy at and follow the prompts to help them locate exactly where the outage is. 

Can I still get a paver at the Tribute Park for my loved one?

Yes, pavers are $45 for small pavers, $90 for large pavers.  You can download the Application and fill out.  Completed forms are accepted at the City Clerk’s Office.

How can I rent the Community Center?

Call 859-635-6359 and check availability and to make arrangements to complete a contract and make payment.

Is the large shelter at the Alexandria Community Park available to rent? What is the cost?

If you live within the city limits of Alexandria, you are able to reserve the large park shelter (by the fishing dock).  The cost is $25, plus tax and can be paid via, check, cash or card (3% convenience fee for debit/credit cards).  A reservation form will also need to be completed.  Any city resident wishing to rent the large shelter should call the City Building to check on the date, and the city staff will assist you in making the necessary arrangements.

Do I need a permit to have a garage sale?

No, ONLY IF you plan on having one more than twice a year.  Chapter 116 of Alexandria’s Code of Ordinances (BUSINESS LICENSES), states “Yard sales, garage sales, street sales, and all other similar type sales shall not be required to purchase a license as required herein unless such sales are held by the same person or family or on the same premises more than twice during the period between July 1 through June 30, or if the sale exceeds 3 consecutive days.  In the event the sale exceeds 3 consecutive days or takes place on more than 2 occasions during the licensed period, then a license will be required in the amount of $25 per day.

Keep in mind though that signs advertising your garage sale are only permitted on your property and should not be put at the top of your street.

Where do I go to vote?
What are the rules and regulations for putting my trash at the curb?

Section 50.30 of the City’s Code of Ordinance states:

“Occupants of all residential units shall place the trash for collection at the curb in front of residential unit no earlier than the day prior to the day scheduled for collection at that residence.  The receipacle . . . shall be removed from the curb and returned to the premises of the residential unit prior to midnight on the day of collection.”

Currently, the City of Alexandria has contracted with Rumpke for curbside service.  All Alexandria Households with curbside trash collection will have the opportunity to receive one 96-gallon wheeled garbage cart (waste wheeler) and one 65-gallon wheeled recycling cart, at no additional charge.  Call 1-877-786-7537 to request these.

For a list of acceptable items, instructions on how to bundle certain items for curbside service, and additional information, Click:

How do I dispose of old paint?

Rumpke can and will accept paint cans IF the lids are off and the paint is dry.  To dry paint, allow the paint to sit with the lid off, or add kitty litter or sawdust to the paint to help dry up the liquid. 

What happens to trash/recycling service if there's a holiday during the week?

Click on to view schedules.  You are in the “SOUTHEAST” area.

How can I view public documents and records?

You must first download a Open Records Inspection Form to submit to the City.  The City then has 5 business days to respond and/or produce the requested documents.

Why is the post office not delivering my mail?

Sometimes the post office is unable to deliver your mail, particularly during a heavy snow storm. 

What should I do if I have a salesperson knocking on my door?

Is someone knocking on your door selling a new roof, pest control, house painting or something else? Did you know that all solicitors/peddlers/itinerant merchants (does not include politicians or non-profit organizations which includes religious groups) need to register with our office prior to knocking on your door? When a business registers with the City, we check their credentials and if approved, will issue them a Solicitor/Peddler/Itinerant Merchant License. They also receive a current copy of the “No Knock” list.
So when they knock on your door, ask to see their City License (the license is printed on a piece of colored card stock paper and includes the city logo); they should have this on their person at all times. If they cannot produce this license, let them know they are not allowed to knock on your door and could be subject to a City Citation. Contact our office, 859.635.4125, or the non-emergency police, 859.292.3622 to report someone who doesn’t have a license.

For those of you within City limits, if you wish to be placed on the “No Knock” list, go to  Once you complete the application, send it to our office via US Mail, drop in our night drop box or fax. We will mail the sticker you must affix to your door that lets the business know they are not allowed to knock on your door. Remember, this does not apply to politicians and non-profit organizations (including religious groups).